Authenticity in leadership is important. Really important. People can quickly see if a leader is disingenuous and then struggle to respect that person. What does this authenticity look like?
Taken from The Human Side of School Change by Robert Evans, we looked at a top ten list of what makes a leader authentic.
The Authentic Leader will:
- Act with integrity
- Encourage creativity and innovation
- Listen actively – restate, ask questions for more depth, eliminates value judgements
- Manage time and resources (things and people)
- Have patience and compassion- it is all about love (mutual respest)
- Value the members of the group
- Achieve Consensus
- Forego the ego
- Be trustworthy
- Communicate effectively
Another model breaks authenticity into 9 key areas. This list, 9 Personal Capacities of Authentic Leaders is from a very short read called The Lotus . This book guides leaders through authentic and effective engagement with others in a collaborative process with a goal of sustainability.
Both models focus on some similar areas but others are different. Which list do you think is better? Why?